What are some things I can do to keep my fees down in a divorce?
September 24, 2014
This list is not exhaustive, but here are some of my top recommendations:
- Be consice on the phone with your attorney. Write down all your questions and when you have a full list, then call them rather than calling multiple times with just one question.
- Find all your documents and gather as much information as you can by yourself.
- Make copies of everything and organize your files by yourself. Make a file of everything for youself to keep and then one for your attorney.
- Don't use your attorney as your therapist. Talk to friends, join a support group or hire a therapist to help you with your emotions.
- If you are able to divide IRAs do so rather than dividing 401(k)s. You don't need a QDRO to divide IRAS but you do need one for 401(k)s and it will cost you extra money.