Keeping Prom Costs Within Budget
March 01, 2017
Prom is just around the corner - a milestone for your children but something you have been dreading. The costs associated with prom can be outrageous, from the tickets, to the dress, to the limo they can really add up quickly. We have come up with some tips to help you be pro-active and stay within your budget.
- Create a budget – According to a Visa Inc survey published by Fortune, the average American family will spend $919 on prom. The key to keeping these costs down is to create a realistic budget and stick to it. Don’t let your child convince you to buy someone out of the budget.
- Consider other options for the dress – Instead of buying a dress they are only going to wear once consider sites like Rent the Runway where you can rent designer gowns at a fraction of the cost.
- Schedule an updo at a school – Getting your hair done at a salon can cost big bucks, look into having it down at a Cosmetology School for a much more reasonable rate.
- Skip the flowers – Real flowers are costly. There are several alternatives like boutonnieres and corsages made from paper, ribbon, fabric and feathers. If you must get real flowers, keep it simple to help reduce costs.
- Host the Dinner with other parents – Although not all kids want their parents around, consider hosting the meal with other parents instead of paying the high-priced formal dinner for your kids and their friends.
If you need help with a budget, please contact our office for a copy of our budget worksheet. We can be reached at 763-231-9510.