Couples Retirement Readiness
June 15, 2016
how well are you communicating with your significant other about retirement? If you are wondering, we ahve included a simple questionnaire that can help you determine what you need to be talking about with your partner.
Instructions: Do the assessment separately and then share your results. Put a T after the statements you believe are true, then add up all the true statements to get your score. Notice the ares that you may want to talk more about.
- We have talked about our timetable for retirement.
- We have planned for future medical and health care costs.
- We know that our roles may change as we go through transition.
- Intimacy and affection are an important part of our relationship.
- We make financial decisions together.
- Having time together and time apart is important to both of us.
- We talk about lifestyle and where we may want to live.
- We agree on our obligations and responsibilites to family.
- Social and community connections are a satisfying part of our lives.
- We have shared values and know what is important to each other.
10 - Give each other a big hug. You are ready to write the "How T" book for couples.
7-9 - Sounds like you are in sync. Ongoing communication is important as you plan for what is next.
4-6 - You are on the right track. Practice listening to each other and sharing what is important to you.
1-3 - Make time to talk about important issues related to retirement.
*Source: The Couples Retirement Puzzle by Roberta Taylor and Dori Mintzer